We planned a long weekend up in Tahoe with my father in law. I was very excited to take the boys up to play and have fun in the snow. We are having a very mild winter so the snow conditions were not great and to be real honest they were pretty bad.**
On Saturday we woke up late and decided to go sledding at the resort while Jamie's dad skiied. To my surprise Lucas was NOT into the snow. I'm not sure if it was because he was still feeling a little sick or having to wear all the warm clothing or being in the snow itself. We put him in the sled and he went down fine but whined to get out. He wanted me to carry him all the time in the snow. I think I got a pretty good workout carrying an extra 24 pounds while walking in the snow.
| Can't sit up straight with all the snow clothing. |
On the other hand, Caleb LOVED it. I must give credit to the show Caillou and the episode where he makes snow angels and goes sledding. The first thing Caleb did was lie down in the snow and make a snow angel. He enjoyed going down a sled with me and with Jamie. After some sledding we decided Lucas was in need of a nap. After an hour long nap, we met Jamie's dad for lunch and then took the boys to a nearby park.
On Sunday we went to Soda Springs to check out Planet Kids. It was a hit! This place is meant for kids under 8 with tubing, a tube carousel ride and skiing. Helmets, skis, and ski boots were included in the cost of admission so you could teach your kid to ski yourself. We opted to pay for a 1/2 hour private lesson. Caleb loved the tubing and the tube ride. When it came time for his lesson Jamie took him to get the equipment. We put him in the skis, held his hand and pulled him along. After a little while he said he was done and we said no you have a lesson. Luckily it was time for his lesson by that time. His instructor's name was Aaron. Aaron and Jamie took Caleb to the top of the hill. Jamie walked alongside Caleb his first run down the hill. Jamie had his hand on Caleb's shoulder and it looked like Caleb leaned on him for support and balance. After that first run Jamie left Caleb with Aaron. The whole lesson was Aaron trying to get Caleb to make "pizzas" and "french fries" down the hill. I lost count how many times Caleb went up and down the hill but each time it seemed like he got a little better. We were very proud of him and clapped every time he made it to the bottom. At the end I gave him a big hug and told him I was very proud of him for trying something new.
| Tube carousel ride |
| At the top of the hill. Knees bent ready to go down. |
| Making a "pizza" |
| Lost his balance making "french fries" |
| Made it down the hill! |
| Lucas not happy/comfortable in the tube or in the snow so we gave him his pacifier. |
| Pulling his own tube up the hill. |
**After our adventure at Soda Springs we went back to the hotel and left the boys with a babysitter so Jamie, Jamie's dad, and I could ski for a half day. On our third run, Jamie's dad fell. The fall didn't look bad but he banged himself up pretty bad. Bad enough to need a ride on a jetski gurney and a trip to the hospital. But fortunately no broken ribs or damaged organs (the on site clinic suspected spleen damage and so they had him transfer to the hospital.). Jamie's dad is one tough guy. Jamie and I had a late dinner that night.
I'm not sure when we'll come back. We may have to wait until Lucas is a bit older and not sick. I would love it if the boys learned how to ski so we could all do an outdoor activity together during the winter.
2 comments:
looks like a ton of fun - makes me want to go tubing. So sorry to hear about Jamie's dad. Glad to hear he wasn't hurt too badly.
loved the pics and videos!! i think you guys need to plan a trip out to CO. ;) glad jamie's dad wasn't badly injured.
Post a Comment