Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Matzo Ball soup

Once a long time ago I made Jamie matzo ball soup with his mom's recipe (he was sick). He said it turned out pretty good. A few weeks ago Caleb wasn't feeling well so Jamie suggested I make him matzo ball soup. I did but tried to use a shortcut by using chicken broth. And for some reason the matzo balls were really hard and not fluffy "like my mom's". So that batch of matzo ball soup bombed big time. One of the last times that Jamie talked to his mom, he actually mentioned my attempt to make the soup and how it was NOT good. He told her that she had to sit down with me and show me how to make it step by step.

Unfortunately that cooking lesson will not be, but I am lucky that I do have the recipe, I had one successful attempt, and I've had her matzo ball soup at least a dozen times. Over the weekend I caught a cold and felt crappy. Of course Jamie suggested I try making the soup. He didn't realize that I had her recipe written down. He got the ingredients and we actually made it together. Fully homemade chicken soup and fluffy matzo balls - just like Jamie's mom makes it. It was yummy and as I ate it I couldn't help think she would've been proud that her recipe has been passed down.


3 comments:

k-dog studios said...

so nice that matzo ball soup will always remind you of jamie's mom. oh...and maybe you can share the recipe with super special favorite people.

joyce said...

that is really cool...

Isabelle Baeck said...

What a great post! I have recipes form my family dating back 4 generations. In the francophile world, it's what you get instead of hugs. They all come with great stories & memories - I'm just now starting to share them with June.
So awesome that you have something like this to share with the boys about their grandma. And that it's extra good when not feeling well just adds sparkle :)