Saturday, May 4, 2013

Kid of the Day


During a discussion at Parent Observation, the teacher mentioned she had to implement "Kid of the Day" amongst her three kids. Each kid was assigned a day and that kid got preferential treatment. One example was who got to sit where in the car. It alleviated a lot of argument amongst the siblings since they got to defer to the kid of the day. Well in this house there's A LOT of arguing about trivial/stupid stuff like who gets dressed first, who gets read bedtime stories to first, what color cup/plate they get, etc etc. You would think it would just be a matter of keeping track of whose turn it was but I don't always remember and they can't be trusted to tell the truth. So to help keep some of my sanity I thought I would try out "Kid of the Day". Since there's only two I decided on even days Caleb would be KOTD and on odd days Lucas would be KOTD. It also works out on their birthdays they are KOTD. If it's one of those months where there's 31 days, then nobody is KOTD. I made a sign and hung it up on our schedule board and flip it every morning.

So far it's been a few weeks and I think it helps. Caleb is more into keeping track of who is kid of the day. Lucas gets a bit upset when it's not his day but gets over it quickly. I hope this system doesn't last forever but for now it's working and I'm going with it.