Thursday, May 2, 2013

Lucas' 3 year appointment

Lucas is 37 inches and 29 pounds. He did pretty well on the vision test as in he cooperated well. I don't know what his vision is but he answered correctly until he got down to the 3rd to the last row. I have no picture of that because I had to cover his eye with the spoon.

37 inches

Such a big boy now
Overall he's fantastic. His speech has gotten better and he talks in full sentences. The doctor asked him to hop and then asked him to balance on each foot. He was able to do both and she commented that the balancing is more of a 4 year old question. His gross motor skills have always been a little more advanced probably because he wants to keep up with Caleb. He loves to sit and read books. At naptime he insists on reading 3 books. And sometimes two of his picks are Dr Seuss books. I think he does it to delay naptime. I think there was a time when he was a baby that he was lucky to get a book read to him at bedtime so I guess I'm just making it up to him. Since Dr Seuss books are pretty long I have tried skipping pages but now he somehow can tell when I do and tells me so. So now I sometimes only read about half of what is on the page. I guess I can get away with that until he starts to read.

We just had a teacher conference and one comment about Lucas was he can be sensitive in the sense that he lets things bother him. There are times when he asks for something and the answer is no and he'll walk away with a sad look on his face and pout. In comparison Caleb would be sad but probably would get over it pretty fast. In the beginning of the year we thought there was a problem with one boy in his class. I think they were interested in playing with the same toys and would often fight. Lucas' reaction was to cry and go to a teacher. He needs to learn how to assert himself, problem solve and use his words. The teacher commented that Lucas doesn't push or even really assert himself with the other kids. This surprised us because he is always shouting at Caleb and pushes him away. I guess kids really do act differently at school. I do however hope he learns to assert himself more.

He is starting to play with other kids than Caleb. During Caleb's soccer class, there are 2 other younger siblings that Lucas likes to run around with. He recognizes them and will run to them. He doesn't really mention any kids from school which surprises me because it seemed Caleb immediately became friends with two other boys in his class at this same age. Luckily next year the two younger siblings he gets along with from Caleb's soccer class is going to the same preschool.

I am still in a little disbelief that Lucas is 3!

No comments: