Wednesday, August 21, 2013

First Day of Kindergarten


We dropped off Caleb to his first day of SCHOOL! The day started early. Caleb woke me up at 6:30am ALREADY dressed. He had waffles and fruit for breakfast and was literally ready to go at 7:25am. We planned to leave home at 8:00am (line up bell is at 8:27) and for sure I thought we would get a parking space in the parking lot. That was not the case! We had to park on a neighborhood street and it was a short walk. We saw Caleb's teacher and stood in a short line to meet her. She had stickers for each kid that said [name of child] is a kindergartener. Really sweet. We then went to hang Caleb's backpack on a hook and he made a beeline for the playground. I was chatting with other parents until the bell rang. Caleb then ran to me gave me a hug and I pointed to where he had to line up. In an email that his teacher sent it said parents were to stay in the playground area and was not really allowed to walk your child to the classroom. Kind of a bummer but I guess it's meant to make the goodbye quick. . 

Jamie and I then walked over to the multi-purpose room for coffee and snacks. There were tables for volunteer signups, PTA, and after school program information. We got our new family goody bag (Choices game, maroon and gold colored M&M's). I ended up signing up to be the Room Parent. I figure it'll be a good way to get to know the teacher and the other parents. I hope I won't have a hard time working with the other parents.

Receiving that email from his teacher caused me to get tears in my eyes. I really thought I was going to shed some tears today but didn't. I guess I was excited and glad that Caleb didn't appear at all anxious about starting kindergarten. So proud of him!

Putting on his new backpack
I bought an adult medium sized T-shirt with Class of 2026. I hope I'll remember to take it out each first day of school. It'll be fun to see how he grows into it.

On the kinder playground

Door to his classroom
Meeting his teacher Mrs G


New backpack

lining up to go in

1 comment:

k-dog studios said...

so grownup and handsome. I hope Caleb had a great first day.