Sunday, August 21, 2011

Paint Splatter Birthday Party

We were lucky to be invited to a Paint Splatter Birthday Party at 4Cats Art Studio in San Francisco. It was a fantastic time and all the kids looked like they had fun. It was really neat that this kind of party accommodated a wide range of ages. I'm sure if the adults were allowed then they would've had some fun splattering paint too.

While waiting for everyone to arrive the kids got to color and eat some snacks. I put one of Caleb's My First Art class t-shirts on Lucas. Lucas chose to taste the oil pastels.


Paint distribution. The birthday boy got to choose 4 colors. He chose blue, turquoise, green and yellow.


In the "Jackson Pollock" splatter paint room. Awesome! I also dressed Caleb in a shirt that he had made during his My First Art class so I didn't really care that it would get more paint on it. I also brought his art smock but it only helped a bit with keeping the mess to a minimum.


Caleb getting started on his canvas


At first I tried to keep Lucas away from the paint splattering but he wouldn't let me.


Working on their canvas.


Lucas with TWO paintbrushes. At one point he painted Caleb's sleeve.


Works in progress. Caleb on the left. Lucas on the right.


After working on individual canvases, a big piece of canvas was rolled out for everyone to paint together. The birthday boy got to take this one home. I guess this is why he got to pick his favorite colors. First the kids got to splatter with paintbrushes.


Second, they were given syringes and a cup of paint to splatter away with. Fun!


Third, they were given balloons filled with paint that they had to pop open with their hands and let the paint splatter over the canvas. Caleb did not like the popping of the balloons so he covered his ears instead. Lucas was the opposite.


This is what happens when you let a 16 month old loose with some paint, a paintbrush, and a balloon filled with paint.


I tried to keep Lucas away from me but he wanted me to pick him up. I left the art studio looking like I participated in the paint splatter party too.


Caleb showing me his hands.


The last thing they did was spin art. A piece of paper is spinning and they got to drop paint on it. We forgot to take that piece of art home. Caleb looked so focused trying to drop paint on the paper.


Their masterpieces. Lucas' on the left. Caleb's on the right.


What a great idea for a birthday party. As we were walking back to our car, Caleb announced 1) That was fun! and 2) I want to go there again. I wasn't as prepared as I could have been. I really hope the paint comes off of my clothes and the boys' Crocs. But all in all it was a great way to spend an afternoon.

1 comment:

joyce said...

that is the coolest birthday party ever!! and you have 2 buddy artists. i love the picture of lucas eating the paintbrush, hahaha!!