Monday, September 19, 2011

The garage

Ever since we moved into our house (18 months ago!) we've never parked a car in the garage (a TWO car garage!). Moving when you are 36 weeks pregnant meant hiring someone else to pack for you and only taking stuff out of boxes as needed (if you could find it). Oh and not to mention we planned on renovating the house so things were still in boxes because they had nowhere to go. Why put up a painting on a wall that is eventually going away?

So now 18 months later our renovation is 75% done (I think) and winter/rainy season is coming. Did I mention one garage door is busted and the remote will open the other garage but it won't close the garage. Also when you press the garage opener, it closes the garage but once it hits the ground it doesn't stop it opens back up again until you press the button again. Depending on your timing the garage is always left a little open. It's a pain. So I told Jamie that I really would like to get a new garage door so I could park in the garage. I didn't want to schlep kids and groceries from the driveway to the front door in the rain again. Well that couldn't happen until we cleared out the garage. What a daunting task! I wish I had a picture of the garage with all our junk but it looked like something you would see on an episode of Hoarders: Buried Alive.It took several weeks of purging and sorting. We threw out and donated A LOT. And I even found some stuff that I needed.

At the same time we decided that our garage needs some drywall, some cabinets/storage system, and new garage doors. In order for the drywall to be installed the garage had to be cleared out of EVERYTHING - even the stuff we plan on keeping in the garage. It was a thrill being able to park the car in the garage even if it was only for 5 minutes. I have my heart set on being able to park my car in the garage by Halloween. I'm told it's an ambitious goal. I think it would be a great birthday present.

First time car is parked in garage!






1 comment:

joyce said...

we have a 3-car garage and i'm still parking on the driveway!! it really sucks when we get a good dumping of snow. hubby needs to sell a car before i can park in there tho. :(