Sunday, April 22, 2012

Wild Rumpus Party


For Lucas's 2nd birthday we decided to have a Where the Wild Things Are themed party. He is a fearless, doesn't take no for answer, tantrum thrower kind of guy and so we felt the theme fitted his personality. We had his party at My Gym so the kids can run around and get their energy out.The staff did a fabulous job and I didn't even have to stay by Lucas' side most of the time. At one point he was put into a sled and pulled along the floor. I don't think he knew what to make of that. He looked around and looked a little bewildered. Normally during cake time, they put the birthday child in a swing while everyone sings. Lucas was too into his bowl of fruit to go in the swing. Instead he just stood in front of his cake while everyone sang Happy Birthday to him. The last activity for all the kids was the zipline. He got to go first and I think he enjoyed it a lot.

Since his party was on Earth Day I got a canvas book bag that contained either Eric Carle's "The Tiny Seed" book (for younger kids) or a Planting Kit (for older kids).


I found this tutorial online on how to make a Where the Wild Things Are wolf hat. I thought it was so cute but I don't own a sewing machine nor can I sew. Luckily I was able to get it made by a friend's sister. I also requested a crown to go with it. They came out SOOO cute! Lucas really loves wearing the crown. 

Like last year I also got T-shirts for the whole family. Lucas only wore his for a little bit. I think he liked his other Where the Wild Things are shirt better because it had one of the wild things on it.
Our Wild Things t-shirts



King of all Wild Things


C and S enjoying the ball pit

M enjoying the climbing structure and slide
Circle Time
Bouncy chair

Sled ride

Family picture

Zipline


For food, we made it simple. Mini bagels, cream cheese, lox, fruit salad, and cake.
The food
The Max doll is sitting on some plastic wrap and served as decoration for the cake.

I stole this idea from our friends the GVZs - I got a new copy of the Where the Wild Things Are book and put a sign out to leave a message for the birthday boy.

Lucas had a fun time and really enjoyed the party. My Gym did a great job helping set up the food, keeping the activities age appropriate and fun, and best of all clean up! (I may never host a kid birthday party in my house again!) Lucas was so worn out that he took a 3 hour nap!

3 comments:

The GVZs said...

Everything looks fabulous! Really wish we could have been there.

k-dog studios said...

Looks like everyone had a blast. And Lucas was a pro at candle blowing! Love all your little creative details. So fun! Happy 2nd Birthday.

Nayoung said...

Happy Birthday Lucas!!!