Sunday, July 8, 2012

RAWR... Caleb is FOUR!

Calebceratops!

When I asked Caleb what kind of birthday party he wanted this year I was not expecting "dinosaur" as his reply. And every subsequent time I asked he would give the same answer. Okay... so dinosaurs it is. I thought it would be fun to have a Dinosaur Dig. I bought a T-Rex dinosaur mold and got Plaster of Paris. During my research, someone suggested mixing a little coffee with the plaster so it comes out a little aged instead of pure white. It totally worked. Since we were having it at a park my initial thought was to bury the bones in the sand pit but since the creek bed was dry Jamie thought it would be much better to bury them there. it kind of looked like an excavation site. After the kids ate, Jamie took them down into the creek bed and showed them where the dig site was. Once they found a bone, they took it up to the outline drawing of the T-Rex and got a prize. After the dig, the kids went on a dinosaur hunt. We scattered a bunch of little dinosaurs around the ground. After that, came the pinata and then cupcakes.

Food table. We hired a couple who set up a taco station and served tacos and quesadillas. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.


This is where the bones were buried.
W excavating a dinosaur tail

Found the ribcage

I made two complete sets of dinosaur mold but there were extras because in the process of making those two sets, some got broken.

Dinosaur hunt

Each kid got a turn at the pinata and then my 10 year old nephew got some whacks in. Jamie got in on the action but couldn't get the thing to break. In the end I tore it up and Jamie dumped the candy out.

CANDY!
RAWR I'm four
I made Caleb a birthday crown then I thought Lucas would get jealous and want one and then thought might as well make one for me and Jamie. Mamaraptor, Daddysaurus, Calebceratops, and Lucasaurus.

4 comments:

k-dog studios said...

looks like a super fun party. i'm sure the kids had a blast excavating. So creative A. Happy Birthday sweet Caleb.

Nayoung said...

I had no idea you made the fossil bones! Wow, way to go mama!

The GVZs said...

Wow, this looked awesome! So sad we weren't there but so happy that C had a great party.

joyce said...

you're so creative aileen!!! everytime I ask R what kind of theme he wants for his birthday it changes, haha...we're gonna have a construction/dinosaur/outer space party this year. :)